Join the Official Discord Server for the opportunity to parttake in events, giveaways and more!

Looking Into Farmer earning money from planting

MakeHistory287

Currently, having to plant is what drives people away from the job.
However if farmers get to earn money and exp by planting seeds and potatoes etc, planting will no longer be that much of a nuisance.

I suggest reducing the amount of money and exp you earn by breaking by 1/3
While you earn the same with planting and breaking crops.

This way, the total amount of money earned by farmers will be 1.5x of the original. I believe this 0.5 increase is fair as farming is quite weak compared with other jobs.

While being able to earn the same amount of money and exp from planting will give players incentive to be farmers, and not farm grief.

Spaceout11

While I don't know how it works on the back-end, all jobs are supposed to be balanced to be leveled at around the same rate. This would give farmers an edge, no matter how small it might be. I could see awarding the normal exp for breaking being split up into breaking/planting at a 50/50 rate. I don't see how this would affect anything other than encouraging no autoreplant.

MakeHistory287

While I don't know how it works on the back-end, all jobs are supposed to be balanced to be leveled at around the same rate. This would give farmers an edge, no matter how small it might be. I could see awarding the normal exp for breaking being split up into breaking/planting at a 50/50 rate. I don't see how this would affect anything other than encouraging no autoreplant.

MakeHistory287

Because currently farmers earn way too little. Making farmers earn 1.5x the current amount they earn does not make them op at all.

If I compare it to miner for example. Miners with eff5 picks and a haste two beacon can earn more than twice the amount a farmer can earn at the same level. Of course you can say to do so miners have to get a eff5 Pic and a beacon, or an emerald pick. But at least there are things miners can do to increase the amount they earn, but there are none for farmers.

Plus miners can sell ore that they mined, But with the current dead potato economy, they can’t even sell their wheat or potatoes to chefs as there are so few people buying them.

Crab

I agree that jobs are supposed to be balanced, but let's talk some numbers because farmer is not currently. Digger makes the same xp per block (0.08) that farmer does on potatoes, pumpkin, melon, carrots, and cocoa. Digger makes more xp per block than farmers do on wheat (0.07), netherwart (0.07) and a few others. The one notable exception for farmer is beets, where farmers make 0.10xp per block.

Farmer and digger (w/ efficient shovel) both instabreak their blocks, but digger doesn't have to replant. Sure there are some caveats to each, like digger needing to repair shovels and farmers needing to build exceptionally large farms to operate efficiently, but with replanting being a worthless time-suck that's easily more time than actual harvesting, we just cannot compete. I am both a digger and a farmer, and digger *crushes* farmer in both monetary and xp gains.

There are alternative crops like gourds and cactus that don't need to be replanted, but they have their own drawbacks that make them unable to compete with a job like digger. We could go the "hunter" farmer path and kill animals, but we'd either have to mass-breed (difficult with mob/chunk limits) or have enough passive mob spawners on the server to compete with hunter's grinders.

A couple solutions I can think of that could balance farmer to meet the other jobs (in isolation, not together):
- some way to earn auto-replant
- speed 3 for farming gourds
- editing the current earning values
- adding more passive mob spawners to crates or similar
- and ofc adding some earnings for replanting

Last edited: